The Salon d’Honneur is located in the heart of the Grand Palais in Paris and covers an area of about 1200m² with a maximum capacity up to 800 seats. In 1900 it was accessible from the nave but in 1940 the permanent installation of the ‘Palais de la Decouverte’ in Palais d’Antin this entrance was closed, breaking the original east-west axis.
Giving to this space its former prestige requires the reuse of this access in order to redefine its central location. It was also necessary to provide a space adaptability as a possibility of hosting a variety of exhibitions.
Our mission consisted on the following:
- Status report of the existing situation from the archival records and statements of the geometer.
- Plan of use and development of the space and feasibility of the proposals, in collaboration with the theatre planner and the architect.
- Basic principles of acoustic treatment and proposition of acoustic materials in accordance with the Heritage party.